MHAAC Frequently Asked Questions – Nov 7 2012
How can the Manufactured Housing Association of Atlantic Canada help me in my business?
- Work as a group to give our industry a strong voice against issues that affect our industry such as:
- DOT issues concerning the transportation of our product
- Building code issues that affect the cost of our product and place our industry on an uneven playing field
- LLC issues that can affect our rights as LLC owners
- Offer MHC courses to establish a sense of professionalism in our industry
- Offer our members an opportunity to voice their concerns on issues they feel are important to their business
- Network with other manufacturers, Retailers, Land Lease Community Owners, Suppliers & Financial Institutions, Transporters
- Public Education to promote the advantages of manufactured housing over alternatives
- Solve Issues – Government, housing, transportation, Building Code
- Help with issues/questions for your particular business
What are your priorities?
- Help our Manufactured Housing Industry become the first choice for housing in Atlantic Canada by growing its market share.
- To be the voice of the industry in all sectors including housing, finance, building officials, government, and home builders associations.
- To represent our members in a professional manner and to work on behalf of our members for the betterment of our industry.
- To act as a liaison with Government departments and other associations on issues which affect our industry.
- Ensure that manufactured housing interests and benefits are heard within the other associations affecting our industry.
- Attract new members.
I already belong to other associations/industry groups. Why should I join MHACC? What are the benefits?
- We are a strong association with all manufacturers represented at the Board level – with common interests and common challenges.
- Access to a wealth of information regarding manufactured housing.
- If you are a stakeholder in this industry, there are many benefits such as access to training (MHC course).
- To be part of the MHAAC group of high quality retailers, developers, trades and transporters, etc.
- We are the “go-to” group for housing in Atlantic Canada.
Who are your members?
- Manufactured housing builders / retailers
- Financial institutions
- Manufactured housing Land Lease Community owners & developers
- Manufactured housing transporters
- Manufactured housing suppliers
- Owners, operators & staff participation
- Foundation providers
- Warranty Providers
- Real Estate Agents
What are the opportunities to network with other members and make business contacts?
- Fresh ideas, discuss issues affecting the industry and resolve them.
- General Membership, Semi-Annual and Annual meetings. Also, if there is a topic which needs to be discussed, by contacting our Executive Director, that topic can be added to our meeting agenda, with proper notification.
- Sharing best practices.
- Opportunity to share experiences and ideas with your peers and also to get to know the other stakeholders in your community.
- We participate in Home Builders Association meetings (national and regional).
- We provide equal opportunities for anyone to be involved at a Board level and/or committee meetings.
I have very little time to participate, so would I get enough out of my membership?
- Opportunity to influence the decisions made on behalf of the industry.
- Information on government changes/updates/programs as soon as they become available.
- All our members who attend our meetings are busy, but having the ability to network with others, give faces to names, makes it easier to pick up a phone and speak to someone who may have the same issues/concerns.
- Yes, we have guest speakers at our meeting that are pertinent to our industry.
- Regular updates on specific industry related issues.
I like to have a say—can I be involved in the Association’s activities?
- We value everyone’s input, and look forward to the participation of our members.
- Working Groups exist on various aspects of the Association – members are welcome to join. Working Groups are as follows:
Growing the Association
Access to Financing
Facts & Figures
Educating the Public
- All voices are not only welcome, they are heard, making feedback invaluable for all members.
- We welcome you to join and be active. MHAAC needs to encourage members to add to the growth and development of the association.
- Attend the meetings.
Do you offer professional development or training—i.e. workshops or courses?
- Current Course Available: MHC, Customer Service Workshop, 55+
- Currently courses are available however the association is planning to offer more courses in the near future.
Can I “test-run” a membership, e.g., come to a function, before I make up my mind?
All potential members are welcome at our general meetings and find them to be a great “test-run” when considering a membership. Voting is limited to members only. You are welcome to attend a meeting to acquaint yourself with the environment. Contact our Executive Director for more information or to confirm your attendance: Yvon Williams 1-888-341-3663 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How long do I have to sign up for?
Our membership dues are an annual fee (pro-rated).
What are some examples of the association’s past successes
- Work with National association to get CLIP program in place
- Input as it related to GST Housing Rebates
- Developed standardized Landlord Consent form for lending institutions
- Transportation MOU
- Cargo securement
How does the association raise its funds?
Membership Dues & Industry Betterment Fees
Who could our members be?
Manufacturers, Retailers, Suppliers, Transporters, Land Lease Communities, Financial Providers, Warranty Providers, Insurance Providers, Lawyers, Real Estate Agents; and whoever else would like to support the Growth of the Manufactured Home Industry.